Thursday, August 25, 2016

Inquiry Based Learning

I come to a class. The teacher delivers the lesson. I may find it difficult to understand, associate, or make any sense of the delivered information. Take another scenario where I know something, I have a question, and ask someone who knows the answer. What happens when I hear the answer? I am able to understand better, connect easily, and potentially save in my long term memory.

This is the basic concept behind Inquiry based learning.
This is a good technique and better motivates the learners. A technique that teaches students to learn how to learn.

First introduced by John Dewey in 1900 or so.

Many teachers use this successfully.

How shall we use this to teach Tamil.

One example I heard from Singapore is that they ask the students to go explore about a topic and come discuss and ask questions. This looks like a combination of flipped classroom and inquiry based learning. No wonder Singapore is way ahead in education.

For Tamil class, instead of the teacher teaching the same content to all the students, we ask the students to explore a topic of their interest and ask them to share with others. This borrows idea from differentiated learning. Students do listen to other students more than the teacher. When a student discusses a topic, other students will be motivated to open their mouth and join the discussion. This also leads to creating more learning opportunities as Dr. Kumar suggests.



No comments:

Post a Comment